If you are active in the construction industry or want to build a new home, you should have heard of an aluminum composite panel. These building materials are modern and practical systems used for today’s cladding systems. What is cladding? Cladding is a facility component that protects structural elements from exterior threats. So, ACP is a metal cladding that will protect your property. These architectural panels come with various color finishes. However, you may consider repainting them to update your building’s appearance after some years. In this article, you will learn the best way to paint aluminum composite panels and create a new and unique look for your home.
ACM Panels are the Best Material for the Cladding System
ACM panels are valuable materials and offer various benefits that you should know. The primary benefits of aluminum composite panels are:
- Low-Maintenance Characteristics
- Available in Various Colors Finishes
- You Can Paint Aluminum Composite Panels
- Perfect Investment
- Sound Insulators
Paint Aluminum Composite Panels with These Tools
Although ACM panels last long, knowing how to paint aluminum composite panels will help you feel confident about updating your home. But, first of all, you need to know the essential tools and equipment you need for painting ACM panels.
- High-Quality Oil Primer: Use oil primer to seal any porous surface. This will allow the paint to be finished better on the composite panels.
- Acrylic Paint: Utilize exterior acrylic paint for better results in bonding the color on your cladding panels.
- Lambswool Paint Roller: To create a smoother paint finish and maximize the coverage area, use a lambswool roller to paint aluminum composite panels.
- Ladder: You will need a simple ladder to reach higher parts of your ACM cladding panels.
- Plastic Bucket: Use a plastic bucket as the paint storage and hang it from the ladder during the aluminum composite panel’s painting process, which will increase the work speed.
- Plastic Paint Tray: This tool is not optional, and you should use it for your lambswool rollers.
- Cloths: Keeping the area around the panel that you paint will help you work better. So, you can drop old clothes in the area to avoid paint splatter on the floor.
Follow These Steps to Paint Aluminum Composite Panels
After you buy or rent the painting equipment, it is time to start the process. If you want to paint aluminum composite panels and upgrade your building, follow the steps below precisely. You can use these steps to paint any metal siding, including aluminum siding.
Painting Aluminum Composite Panels Requires Preparation
If you decide to paint aluminum composite panels that are installed on your building facade, you should start by scraping off the old and damaged paints.
Then, you will have to remove any mildew with water and bleach combinations. However, remember that your mixture should contain more water than bleach.
Apply the First Coat to Paint Aluminum Composite Panels
This step is crucial if you want to paint ACM panels with the best results. In this particular step, you should create the first cot of primer during a day with dry weather.
We recommend using a standard paint roller to finish this step more accessible and faster. With this, you will apply the first layer evenly.
Add the Second Layer of Primer to ACM Panels
After you apply the first coat of the primer thoroughly, it is time for the second layer. However, before applying the second coating, you should ensure that the first one is dried thoroughly.
Note: Typically, it will take four hours to dry the primer.
Start Painting Your ACM Panels
The most efficient and best way to paint aluminum composite panels is to do the painting from the top to the bottom of the boards by using long and even brush strokes.
For the best results, we recommend painting ACM panels in the same direction as they were installed. (Horizontal or vertical)
Learn more about Installing ACM Panels.
Apply the Second Color Coat to Paint Composite Panels
After you apply the first layer of paint to aluminum composite panels, you should wait about two hours to let them dry. Then, start using the second layer of the paint.
This step is to help you correct any imperfections that occurred during the painting process. Thus, it is better to buy an extra gallon of your desired paint to avoid a shortage.
Inspect Your ACM Panels
After you finish applying both layers of your paint to the ACM panels, leave the panels dry for at least three hours. Then, inspect your work and see if there are any spots, bumps, or drips.
Note: In case you see a sign of the old finish beneath the new paint, you should apply one additional layer.