Rainscreen panels are the form of insulation systems focusing mainly on moisture and humidity resistance properties. These systems prevent the construction from the entry of large amounts of rainwater. They eliminate the risk of condensation-related problems such as molding and damping and protecting the system itself. The Rainscreen installation is practical for new building projects or renovation applications on private homes, offices, or any structure requiring improvement for their efficiency. These functional cladding systems are often cost-effective while simultaneously being simple and easy to install and maintain. They usually do not need an additional fixing process after the installation procedure.
The Rainscreen systems are made up of an air gap via furring strips, siding, WRB layer section, and structural sheathing substrate. Most sidings can shed 90% of rainfall. This type of cladding’s primary function is not to emit water, and it is to protect the WRB substrate from UV light and play the role of a cosmetic facade for the building. The air gap ventilation between the siding due to furring, the WRB in a Rainscreen panel prevents moisture from penetration or absorbs it from the rain and dew to evaporate and drain as soon as possible. Additionally, the air gap allows the water vapor expelled from the building’s interior to escape instead of getting stuck between WRB and the siding, creating an area to grow fungi. However, it is necessary to note that these cladding systems are prepared in different varieties for different applications, such as dry and wet types. The dry type is made of caulk at the joints, and the dry Rainscreen consists of ACM panels.
How Difficult is to Install a Rainscreen?
Installing a Rainscreen for experts is relatively simple. There are two methods to install a Rainscreen, which are horizontal and vertical. For the flat method, builders install the vertical furring strips on the top section of the weather barrier every 0.3 meters on the center due to the siding material’s movement, which occurs on-center and can maintain the flat plane for decades. On the other hand, in the vertical installation method, some municipalities may force the installer to attach another set of furring strips horizontally over the first system to provide the water drainage downward and vapor to exhaust upper direction. To install a Rainscreen properly, Installing a horizontally furring layout can be vented laterally out the corners and penetrations. Contractors always see diagonal furring layouts on the vertical installing method for proper ventilation without having an expensive grid layout.
Consideration Before Installing a Rainscreen
To Install a Rainscreens a prior analysis of different factors is required. It is essential to check local building codes and standards and consult with an architect before construction. The installer should follow all construction codes that apply in the area. Since there are various variables, any individual can encounter during an installation project, the installers are responsible for testing the material for sustainability for the demanding building. Following all installation instructions that the product’s manufacturer provides to install a Rainscreen is vital to achieving the best result depending on the cladding material type. If any building code or manufacturer instruction differs or contradicts the contractor’s information, contact the company before starting the project. For remembering the prior requirements, it can be easier to know the steps individually.
- Remember to calculate the siding needs based on the finishing dimensions only.
- Advantages of the Rainscreen cladding must acclimate to the building’s local climate.
- It is essential to utilize end sealing to cover the new fabricated boards’ grain edges to prevent further issues.
- Always check the local buildings code and permissions from the homeowner’s association.
Step by Step Installation Process
Each of the Rainscreen types has their installing method and require a different process. However, all products have a similar standard installation method to have better results after completing the construction. The followings are the steps of the installation process for all types of Rainscreen panels.
- The first step is to install house wrap for moisture infiltration prevention which is achieved by following the vapor barrier instruction.
- Then, the installer should apply the baseboard, which is often a horizontal furring strip, with supplies such as stainless screws. Ensuring the level of the baseboard is considered essential.
- The expert can align the furring vertically on the top section of the baseboard with a 0.3-meter distance on the center by attaching the furring strips.
- The next step is to install starter clips featuring the hidden siding fastener kit on the baseboard while aligning each starter clip with the furring strip in the last step. It can be handy to use a chalk line reel for creating a level line.
- While ensuring the first board with a level in the aligned section, installing the first advantage Rainscreen siding on the top of the clips is done.
- Another essential step to remember is to place the hidden fasteners for sidings into the pre-molded groove area.
- Then, the installer should drive the stainless screw or another supplement through the siding fastener into the strip at a forty-five-degree angle.
- The last step is to set the proceeding Siding cladding board on the top of the installed fasteners after proper alignment of the panels with a rubber mallet.