What makes us decide to change the facade of an old building?
When we see a building’s facade for the first time, it is the beauty of appearance and its uniqueness, making it different from other facilities. Therefore, a modern design appropriate to the conditions and use of the building, as well as utilizing high-quality materials, are also essential to create a unique identity for a building.
In addition to having a protective role for the establishment, the building’s facade is also an essential part of the building. It affects the morale of the building’s occupants or those who work there, and even pedestrians.
In general, there are various reasons for the reconstruction of the building. Let’s see why should the facade of a building be reconstructed?
- The high cost of complete demolition of the building and construction of a new building
- Creating new effects in the building and changes in appearance
- The old view is not compatible with the further use in commercial or even residential use
- Increase the number of clients and customers in office and commercial complexes, because with the reconstruction of the facade will be more attention
- Erosion and destruction of the old facade, which if not rebuilt, will destroy the main building, as well as causing harm to the area around it
In this article, we try to get more acquainted with the reconstruction of old buildings’ facades. Join us.
Principles and critical points that should be considered for the reconstruction of the building and they play an essential role in the new facade of the building, namely:
- Type of use of the building
- Regional architecture and climatic conditions
- The skeleton of an old building
- Consumables and materials
There are various suggested solutions for renovating the facade of a building, ranging from a slight change in the color or even washing it to a complete reconstruction. The following list contains some of the most important solutions you can consider for the purpose of renovating a building’s facade.
- Reconstruction of broken and torn elements
- Restoration of ligation
- Turkish repair
- Replacement or repair of doors and windows
- Painting the facade of the building
- Repair of covers and baseboards
- Install or replace guards
- Facade beautification with plants (bio wall)
- Washing the facade of the building
Principles of Building Facade Lines
In every building, some lines separate the different parts from each other. These lines are useful in creating a proportional rhythm in the building and make the facade of the building stand out. Note the shape and form of these lines in the depressions of the facade.
Principles of Proportions and Communication Between Sections
- Design doors and windows with a proper rhythm and defined vertical lines.
- Facades of buildings with surface differences establish a proper connection between balconies and terraces and windows, one of the suitable options to use is flower boxes.
- Adherence to the principles of light architecture intended for facade design ensures the efficiency of reconstruction.
- In general, in the facade’s design, the reconstruction of a building’s middle and upper parts will be more critical.
- Pay attention to the region’s natural potentials; for example, sunlight creates a sense of vitality in people.
- Balconies and terraces that have recesses or protrusions that can be used to control the amount of natural light to the building’s interior. These spaces act as a natural canopy.
- Consider the type of details defined for the building and used in the design based on personal taste or the decoration and general material of the main building; their combination makes the building different.
Remarkable points in the reconstruction of the old building
- Sometimes the severity of the facade damage is so severe that the reconstruction does not make much change. For personal reasons, the owner fundamentally changes the facade; it is necessary to destroy the worn or old facade.
- Pay attention to the old building’s structure and skeleton.
- There is no need for a unique design in the facade’s reconstruction, but in replacing the worn facade with a new facade, a new facade design must be done.
- Facade reconstruction costs vary depending on the materials used. Still, in general, the cost of reconstruction is not comparable to the value of the building’s complete construction; many building owners prefer to renovate the building’s facade to build a new building.
- When repairing the facade, for more beauty, consider the modern method of the building and the modernity of the material, and be careful in choosing the color, stone, brick, wood, glass, and composite, because it may not be possible to change it depending on the type and age of the building.
- When renovating, we must pay attention to the previous structure, and sometimes the material used is very similar to the material above, which causes the building to undergo slight changes.
- Renovating the facades of old houses with “historical value” is very valuable because they can be added to life in terms of structure and function.